Judging Your Readiness for College
A question that most high school seniors have is: “Am I ready for college?” With very rare exceptions, the answer is no. You are probably smart enough, but the question is whether you have the discipline and maturity that you need. Most students do not.
Want to test whether you are ready for college? Here are some questions for you to answer.
- Do you have the discipline to study 10 hours for an exam over a span of a week?
- Do you have what it takes to say no to friends who want you to join them when you have to study?
- Do you have the focus to use your time wisely throughout the day?
- Do you know how to learn in class and take good notes?
- Do you have a strategy for taking different types of tests?
- Do you have a consistent sleep schedule?
- Do you know how to develop a plan for a major project that will take several weeks to complete?
- Do you have the discipline for completing your assignments on time without constant reminders?
- Do you know how to motivate yourself when you struggle?
- Do you know how to deal with times of extreme stress?
If you are honest with yourself, you probably said no to many of these questions. Does this mean you will fail when you go to college? No it doesn’t. Very few students will say yes to more than a few of these questions.
What this does mean is you will need to change your approach to classes if you are to be successful. .