Deciding to transfer colleges is a life-changing event and needs to be an informed decision.
Things to consider:
- Have my goals and priorities changed since I enrolled in college?
- Will changing colleges influence my life for the better?
- How will it affect me and my goals in the long run?
- Will I prefer attending this college over my current school?
- Is my area of study available at my current college?
- Will transferring colleges offer better educational and/or career opportunities?
- Have I researched the pros and cons of transferring colleges thoroughly?
How to Make the Decision to change your major:
Deciding to change your current major is a critical choice and needs to be an informed decision.
Things to consider:
- Have my goals and priorities changed since I selected this major?
- Will selecting a new major be more suitable for my future interests?
- Will my classes be more enjoyable therefore increasing my potential to succeed?
- Will the change in major increase the possibility of success in my career after graduation?
- Will changing my major reflect an increased job satisfaction after graduation?
- Have I researched the pros and cons of changing majors thoroughly?
Challenges you will face:
What steps do you need to pursue to change colleges/majors. Once you have made the change you will face a drastic change whether you change colleges or majors such as learning a new campus, living in a new area, meeting new people and teachers, and adjusting to new course materials.
Additionally, you will have to consider the fact that you may lose achieved credit hours and academic standing such as going from a senior to a sophomore. Nevertheless, keep in mind that no one can take what you learned in these courses away from you, and you will always have that knowledge and life experience. Finally, you may experience resentment when you have to retake classes that did not transfer. In order to process and cope with this resentment, ask for support from loved ones.
Topic content submitted by Caroline Ornoski, a student at West Virginia University..