One of the most important, but unrecognized aspects of a college experience, is the cultural experiences you will have available to you. Virtually every college is a microcosm of the world economy. Your classmates will come from cultures very different from yours.
There is a melding of students from rural and urban areas. There is a melding of races and religions. Students from many nations become a part of the campus community. There will be a blending of those with different political beliefs, sexual orientations, and lifestyles.
Our society has become very diverse, and the multicultural experiences of campus life are an education within an education. Many of these cultural experiences will be ones that you will come to value as your career takes you to many parts of the world.
Here are some suggestions to realize the greatest benefit from the cultural experiences available to you.
- Get to know classmates from different cultures. The best way to do this is to work with students from different cultures on assignments. Often these assignments lead to sharing of personal stories.
- Invite an international student home for Thanksgiving or semester breaks. Often international students can make these breaks very special.
- Take classes that expose you to different cultures. Many campuses offer courses that have travel to another country as part of the course.
- Explore a study abroad semester. (See the Topic: Deciding on Doing a Study Abroad). These experiences can add an extra dimension to your education. Many campuses also have scholarships to support study abroad.
- Take advantage of the many multicultural events that will be available on any campus.
You will have little trouble getting to know students from another culture. With very little encouragement you and your classmates will begin to enjoy each other’s company..